Student Kitchen Safety Tips

A wooden chopping board with a chef's knife.

Image via Wikipedia

Student Kitchen Safety Tips
Free Quote Click Here For Free Renters Policy Quote From Liberty Mutual.

Leaving home and being responsible for feeding yourself is an exciting time for students, but there are one or two things which you need to keep in mind, after all, you won’t have your Mom to remind you to be careful, cook for you or to follow along behind cleaning up your mess and making sure that you’ve turned things off . . . 

Sharp Knives – young children should never be allowed to use sharp knives without lots of supervision, and even students can get into trouble if they’re not paying attention. You should always use the right size of knife for the task at hand, and make sure that you use a cutting board so that you don’t scratch the work surfaces (or blunt the knife). Clean chopping boards with soapy water as soon as you’ve finished with them. Okay, that’s the hygienic bit sorted, but it’s also important that you don’t chop your fingers off. Slice away from hands or fingers which are holding food, and wash knives carefully away from the blade once you’ve finished with them. Then put them away where you found them (something completely alien to many students, until they get the hang of it).

Microwaves – can be a students best friend, when they are treated properly. Microwaves make things hot, sometimes hotter than you anticipated, so always use cloths or mitts to remove containers from the microwave. Don’t put metal or some plastics in microwaves, and if you’re heating something which is covered make sure that there are a couple of “breathe holes” to let the steam out, otherwise it could all blow up in your face – literally.

Kitchen Cleaning – is important, and you must do it as soon as you’ve spilled something, it’s much easier to clean up anyway. Make sure that you clean things properly, otherwise spilled soft drinks can leave things sticky, oil and gravy can make things greasy – everything needs to be cleaned with hot, soapy water at the very least.

Water and Electricity do not mix, so always make sure that you dry your hands thoroughly before plugging or unplugging anything electrical.

Kitchen Fires can be dangerous, but can also be easily dealt with if you act fast – smother the flames of a grease fire with a lid or a pan, (turn off the heat source if possible) and if it’s safe to do so, put the object into the sink under running water, that should sort it out.  (Don’t put water onto a grease fire though, that only makes things worse).

So now you have it, some really useful tips on how to keep yourself safe in the kitchen – just one less thing for your Mom to worry about.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments are closed.


error: Thank you for visiting